Saturday, April 30, 2016

Annia

The day had arrived where Lilith would go out seeking a mate for Genesis.


Adam reassured his mother over breaking their fast, that he trusted her judgement in selecting him a mate.


But he had his doubts and fears.


Jair had his concerns as well and spoke to Lilith about them.


"Mother, what if the woman you bring into our camp challenges you rather than supporting our plans?"

"Jair, when you've become my age, you are more capable of judging traits and character. I'll admit there is some risk in the choosing. A young lady can pretend to be someone she is not, but I will do my best to be a good judge of her."

"I've heard rumors that it may become law to care for your brother's mate should he pass. There are even talks of this thing called 'marriage'. It's a covenant. I don't wish to find a mate, Mother."

"And you won't need to. I shall find a woman that is willing to follow my lead, capture your brother's heart and be a wonderful sister to you."

"That sounds impossible."

"Let's hope it isn't. While I am out, I want you and Genesis to search for ways to channel the water from our underground spring. We will be able to grown more crops if we can."

"Yes, Mother."


Lilith deliberately did not rush to the ponds area to bid first on mates. She did not want to spend more than the perfect blackberries that she carried with her. Nor did she want a woman haughty from being among the first choices. She dug up more relics on her way to the ponds.


When she arrived at the pond, she looked carefully at the young women and watched the reactions of the crowds around them. She took note of a fair young woman sitting apart from the others. Many men, both young and old, looked upon her with desire. Yet all of the women looked upon her with scorn.


Lilith carefully scrutinized this woman wondering why a thing of such beauty was still available. She was dressed odd, even wearing animal leather on her feet. She was too fair and looked as if the sun might blister her skin easily. She did not look like a woman that was accustomed to laboring.


Lilith made up her mind to speak to her first.


"Hello, my name is Lilith."

The woman looked startled at being approached, "My name is Annia."

"Tell me, Annia, why is a woman of your beauty still available?"

"There are many reasons, Lilith, but I will tell you the ones I have overheard today. They are saying: I am too beautiful, too fair, too Squeamish, too Romantic, too Self-Assured, that I want to be Leader of the Pack, I dress too strange, that I have a strange way of living, I have strange ideas of changing the way things are... shall I continue?"

"No, but tell how strong is your desire to lead?"

"You mean, would I challenge my new mother?"


"That is precisely what I am asking."

"My desire for leading isn't as strong as my desire for belonging or being wanted. I am one of many daughters. I am a burden to my father."

"Is it because you are unwilling to cook, clean or labor?"

"No, I do all of those as needed. I prefer not to labor hard, but I will do what is necessary."

"Tell me of your strange ideas and way of living."


"I have seen better ways to live, Lilith. There are ways to cook fruits, vegetables and meats for the entire family that keeps you full as long as a fish over the fire can. There are vessels for cleansing, instruments to make beautiful sounds, games with pegs and boards, things called reading, writing, manuscripts, houses rather than tents to live in, ways to keep fish fresh and not turn foul. There are so many wonderful things I could teach and share, but everyone is afraid of change. It is as if something different is frightening."

Lilith marveled at what Annia had to say. If there was one thing Lilith enjoyed, it was living more comfortably and being the first to master something. Far from feeling threatened by Annia, Lilith thought this young woman would be an asset to her family.


"Annia, I am seeking a mate for my First Born. He is a handsome man, although prone to gloominess. Unlike many men around here, he listens to his mother. My second born has a flair for creating with his hands. He has chosen to stay in the household for life. My other children will stay as long as they wish. You will not be the woman of my home until I pass and I intend to live a long life. Can you live with these conditions?"

 "I would be honored to call you 'Mother', Lilith."


"Then, I shall speak to your father. When we arrive to camp, your task is to please my son and bring me grandchildren into this world."

"Yes, Mother."

So Lilith negotiated with Annia's father. He did ask for more than the perfect blackberries she offered. He seemed relieved to be well rid of another daughter. As they walked back to camp, Annia spoke in detail of the lifestyle she was accustomed to. Lilith carefully took note of it all. When they arrived at their camp, Lilith introduced Genesis to his new mate. He seemed very pleased.


Annia was true to her word and set about immediately fulfilling her tasks.






Delilah aged up to her teen years. Her aspiration was to be an Outdoor Enthusiast and her new trait was Jealous.


The evening meal was pleasant. Genesis was smitten with his new mate and Annia appeared to be very pleased at being wanted and belonging.




Annia felt a little ill after she ate. The fish was fresh, so Lilith suspected her first grandchild might be on it's way already.


"Mother, Annia told me that there way to make beautiful sounds with carved wood and string. Could we get such an instrument?"

"Yes, Delilah, as soon as possible."


Almost everyone awakened in a good mood, the exception of Annia's queasiness. Changes were coming and most of the family looked forward to it.




Genesis was absolutely besotted.



After breakfast, everyone settled into their routine with Annia instructed to simply take care of herself and to get to know everyone.





As she went about digging up relics, Lilith caught a glimpse of Adam fishing. He had aged. No doubt from trying to keep up with a young mate.


But Lilith was indifferent. Adam had made his choices and she hers. She was happy with her family.





And the family was growing, Annia told Genesis and Lilith she was carrying the next generation in her belly.


The next morning, there was only one fish left. Everyone agreed that Annia would eat it. After all, she was eating for two now.




Annia kindly treated Delilah as a much loved younger sister.


And to Jair's happiness, Annia embraced him as a beloved brother.


Tahash was gifted with cultivating the plants. He grafted one on to another, to create an entirely new fruit.



Far from creating discord, the addition of Annia to the family added joy. And as she shared her strange ways, they developed hope for a new way of life. They made plans to build and purchase many items and be the first family in the desert to possess these innovations.







Life was good and it was about to get better.

No comments:

Post a Comment